A few minutes walking to the River Thames and Pangbourne village.
Gardens approx. 0.483 acres / 0.196 ha.
A wonderful opportunity to either refurbish and extend the existing building or possibly apply for planning permission for a replacement dwelling this is a very peaceful and secluded area.
A wonderful opportunity to either refurbish and extend the existing building or possibly apply for planning permission for a replacement dwelling this is a very peaceful and secluded area. A level plot of this quality in Whitchurch village is both very valuable and very rare. The bungalow was constructed in the 1970`s with provision in the loft and we understand footings to allow another floor to be added if so desired.
The property is set only a few minutes walking distance out of Pangbourne centre and is in a very secluded and private position set within lovely well maintained old walled gardens with a long curving entrance drive flanked by an imposing 10ft high period wall, once part of the Walliscote Estate and this was probably the kitchen gardens with still in existence the entrance from the formal gardens to the kitchen gardens by way of a classical Georgian doorway with the original columns and pediment this entrance is now blocked.
This sleepy idyllic spot at the beginning of Whitchurch village is only a short walk to the River Thames and the centre of Pangbourne. The Walled Garden Retreat has been occupied from new by the same family for 43 years.
Special Features: * The gardens are a delightful feature, well maintained over many years with lawns, shrubberies, herbaceous borders and a kitchen garden. * To the rear is a very pretty secret garden with period walls running across the rear boundary. It was here that once the greenhouses to the kitchen garden of the original estate stood with a small part of the greenhouse still in existence and to the other end the garden store. This area is stone paved with roses climbing the wall and mature fig tree, bay trees and flowers.
* The interior of the property is well decorated with large picture windows and sliding patio doors giving access to the gardens at the front. * The kitchen is dated but in good order. * The loft is very large and as previously stated has been constructed in such a manner it would be very easily converted to a first floor. There are windows both ends of the loft already and with dormer windows to the front could give additional accommodation quite simply.
Schools & Local Facilities: Walking distance of the village primary school which has an outstanding record, walking distance of the village pubs, The Greyhound and The Ferryboat Inn, and into the centre of Pangbourne village with its tremendous selection of specialist shops, riverside pubs, restaurants, buses, doctors` practice, dental practice, banks, and station giving an intercity fast train connection to London Paddington. The River Thames is also within easy walking distance with the river meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, and a footpath giving fabulous Thameside walks.
M4 Junction 12 at Theale approximately 5 miles. Easy access by car to Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, The Oratory School Preparatory and Senior Schools, Downe House, and Cranford House at Moulsford.
There is a first class fitness centre at Bradfield College, which is open to membership, with a very fine indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, squash courts, indoor tennis courts. There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area - Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few. Horse riding stables and livery stables are a short driving distance at Buckhold and Upper Basildon. The large supermarket Waitrose and Sainsburys Hypermarket are also within easy driving distance. Jo Fielder runs Fielders Farm Shop on the Englefield road, the other side of Tidmarsh.
SUMMARY OF ACCOMMODATION: Entrance lobby, entrance hall, cloakroom, large L-shaped lounge big double doors into dining room, open plan to the kitchen with door to utility room, 2 double bedrooms, bathroom and separate lavatory.
GARDENS AND GROUNDS: The private driveway is some 270ft long, integral garage with car port to front, greenhouse, garden store. The gardens extend to 0.483 acres
NOTE: This property is being sold on behalf of a corporate client. It is marketed subject to obtaining the grant of probate and must remain on the market until contracts are exchanged. As part of a deceased`s estate it may not be possible to provide answers to the standard property questionnaire. Please refer to the agent before viewing if you feel this may affect your buying decision.
SERVICES:Mains gas, drainage, water and electricity. Gas fired central heating.
POST CODE:RG8 7DF
LOCAL AUTHORITY:West Berkshire Council.
Tel: 01635 42400.
Council Tax: Band F
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only � sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
Walking: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left at the mini roundabout, and at the George Hotel turn left, walk over the Whitchurch Bridge, which at the moment is being reconstructed and there is a pedestrian bridge. Pass The Ferryboat Inn and you will find the entrance on the left which is also the entrance to Walliscote House and The New Rectory. Go through the entrance and turn right and you will see the wrought iron gates on your left next to the high red brick wall, this will give you access into the Walled Garden Retreat, with the Walled Garden Retreat name on the gates.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.