Yattendon - 2 miles, Pangbourne - 7 miles, Newbury � 7 miles, Reading � 17 miles, Heathrow �1 hour`s drive,
A34, M4 junctions 12 & 13 and A4 all within easy reach.
Stations at Didcot 14 miles, Newbury and Pangbourne � both 7 miles (all timings & distances are approximate)
Approx 2131 sq ft / 197.9 m�.
Gardens - 0.25 acre / 0.10 ha (approx.)
A charming detached period cottage built in 1833 with some later additions within the heart of this sleepy period village. Gate Cottage is valuably unlisted and set within fabulous landscaped gardens. From the high-level part of the garden there are wonderful views over surrounding countryside across to the ancient church. The property backs onto fields at the rear.
The property is in easy walking distance of the village community shop which also serves coffee, tea and light lunches, the church, the White Hart public house and restaurant which is a significant village meeting-point and serves fine food. The very highly regarded village primary school has recently been among the top 5 primary schools in the country.
Around 1993 Gate Cottage underwent a major refurbishment and extension. During the past 17 years the present owners have maintained the property to a very high standard. A further extension in 2007 included installation of a new kitchen.
* Original exposed beams to the sitting room and dining room *
* Open fireplace to the sitting room is a pretty feature with a fine Bessemer beam across with a multi fuel �Hunter Herald 5` stove installed in 2008 *
* Gate Cottage has large windows throughout and high ceilings, unusual for a cottage of this period *
* Period front door with latches and wooden box lock *
* A number of windows were replaced in 2004 with hard wood casement double glazed units *
* The kitchen/ breakfast room has electric underfloor heating which is under guarantee *
* The kitchen is fitted with a comprehensive range of light oak panelled doors to the range of high and low level kitchen cupboards and drawers.
The dishwasher and a refrigerator are built in. The cooker is by Range Master with a 5-ring ceramic top, two ovens and grill. The kitchen work surfaces are all granite with an under-mounted stainless steel sink unit *
* A flight of stairs leads down to the basement room which is fully tanked and provides a very useful study or family room, having two windows which give natural light. There are fitted cupboards and a bookcase *
* First floor accommodation is unusually spacious with large rooms and a modern bathroom plus and a further modern shower room *
* The terraced gardens are a pleasure in all seasons. There are lawns, flower beds and vegetable plots. The gardens face south west *
* Still in existence is an old brick-lined cold store which was built into the bank behind the house and is presently used to store firewood *
* The detached garage is large and has a storage loft with a window to one end and a door to the other, allowing access for large items *
The road links are extremely convenient with the A34, M4 and A4 all within easy reach. Heathrow airport is within an hour`s driving time. There is a choice of train stations within easy reach: Goring, Didcot, Pangbourne, Theale and Newbury.
The property is within walking distance of the primary school, church, village community shop with beauty salon and hairdresser, and the public house.
There is a large village hall with excellent facilities, looking out over a football field, a cricket pitch, a childrens` play area and a set of outdoor gym equipment.
Gate Cottage is a short drive from the market town of Newbury which has been the subject of enormous regeneration and investment and now is an excellent shopping centre. Entertainment facilities include The Watermill Theatre, The Corn Exchange, a Vue cinema and the well-known Newbury Racecourse.
Yattendon village is just a couple of miles away with the famous country house hotel and restaurant, The Royal Oak; there are also an excellent post office/general store and a hairdressers. The Pot Kiln at Frilsham is only a few minutes drive and offers fine dining in a rustic atmosphere by celebrity chef, Mike Robinson.
Pangbourne is only approx. 7 miles with its tremendous selection of specialist shops, pubs and riverside restaurants and a mainline station giving an intercity fast train connection to London Paddington, with plenty of car parking for the commuter.
Bradfield is approximately 10 minutes drive away and has a superb sports centre to include a large gym, indoor swimming pool, indoor tennis courts and squash courts, open to public membership. There are Waitrose supermarkets in Thatcham and Newbury and, just near junction 12 at Calcot, is Sainsbury`s hypermarket.
There is a choice of good schools in the area � Hampstead Norreys Church of England primary school and The Downs secondary school (in Compton) are both highly regarded. Local private schools include St Andrews, Elstree, Brockhurst/Marlston House, Pangbourne College, The Oratory, Bradfield College and Downe House. The Abingdon schools also serve this village.
SUMMARY OF ACCOMMODATION:
Traditional entrance porch, entrance hall, cloakroom, sitting room, dining room, fully fitted kitchen/ breakfast room, utility room; covered way to store (with mains electricity).Staircase to basement room, study/family room.Double detached garage with large store above with a pair of electric up and over doors. Log store. 1st floor � 4 bedrooms, shower room, separate bathroom.
GARDENS AND GROUNDS: Beautifully landscaped, well established gardens with a productive vegetable patch. There is a greenhouse and two sheds. The oil storage tank is enclosed by a fence and a hedge.Extending to 0.25 acre / 0.10 ha (approx.)
SERVICES: Mains water, electricity and drainage. Full oil fired central heating. Broadband
POST CODE: RG18 0TE
LOCAL AUTHORITY: West Berkshire Council. Tel: 01635 42400. www.westberks.gov.uk
Council Tax: E
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Fax: 0118 984 5490
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only � sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout, turn first right at St James the Less Church and proceed up Pangbourne Hill. Follow the signs now for Yattendon. On arriving in Yattendon pass the Royal Oak on the right, fork right and out of the village. On reaching the T-junction turn right, proceed into the village of Hampstead Norreys until you reach another T-junction with an island of grass on your right. Proceed ahead, Gate Cottage will be found on the right hand side. If you get to the bottom of the hill and pass the public house you have gone too far.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.