The “Old House of Balchers” is a B listed structure of historical merit and was formerly the farmhouse to Balchers farm in the parish of King Edward of Aberdeenshire. An early house at Balchers was home to William Guild (1586–1657) a scottish minister, academic and chaplain to King Charles 1, but the first recognisable part of the existing structure is a typical 18th Century symmetrical, two storey, 3 bay end dormerless house with centre door and sash windows.
The Duncan family were occupants of Balchers from 1747-1924 and throughout that 177 years they extended and added to the original georgian property. The first extension was the the service wing, which has a skew-put dated 1802. Linking the newer and older parts of the house gave the opportunity to upgrade the parlour with a late georgian features including fire place, arched alcove and plaster cornice. In the late 1870s Patrick Duncan built a new extension to the house which doubled the size of this already impressive property. This extension was built in a mid-Victorian “classic” style; with decorative plaster and woodwork, plus a sweeping staircase with iron banisters and a mahogany handrail, lit by a vaulted sky light. The main bedroom has a marriage lintel initialled PD 1881 EM for Patrick Duncan of Balchers and Elizabeth Milne. Balchers was tenanted by a number of farmers after 1924 and was purchased by the current owners in 2008.
During their ownership, the owners have striven to return this fantastic property into a magnificent family home; upgrading of electrical systems, installing new plumbing and bathroom fittings, plus refurbishing the sash windows whilst retaining the historic glass in these windows.An award-winning local conservation architect was employed to prepare proposals for the conversion of the 1802 service wing into an independent unit capable of being used as a holiday let or “granny annex” planning approval was also obtained for the conversion of the steading into a studio/craft workshop and additional holiday accommodation and also for the reinstatement the conservatory. The fantastic conversion to the servants quarters was completed in 2011 and a successful holiday let business is currently conducted from these premises. Unfortunately illness has prevented the current owners undertaking further work on Balchers and has led to the reluctant sale of this fantastic historic property.
Property comprises; ground floor: impressive hallway leading to all accommodation, drawing room with bay window, feature fire place, and wood-burning stove, formal dining room, fantastic country kitchen with working rayburn providing cooking and central heating, large utility/laundry room, large family bathroom.
First floor: master bedroom with Jack and Jill style shower room connected to bedroom two/nursery, three further double bedrooms four of the five bedrooms have original fire places.
Annexe: large reception room with wood-burning stove, fully integrated kitchen, immaculate bathroom and two double bedrooms. The annex has independent gas central heating and its own dedicated parking area.
Outside, the garden is laid out to the East and South side of the house. The yew trees are estimated to be between 250 and 400 years old and the large copper beech tree 250 years old. Strenuous efforts by the owners and their tree surgeon since 2009 have resulted in the recovery of what was once a “lost garden “ opening up access to lawns and trees and a progressive reduction in undergrowth. The majority of the garden is laid to lawn with a multitude of shrubs, plants, mature bushes, flowers and fruit trees. With its South Easterly outlook it really does make for a picturesque setting for entertaining and enjoying the sun. The garden also has a large summer house, a small greenhouse and a hen run.
A tree-sheltered gated drive way to the East side of the house allows parking for a multitude of vehicles.
The garden was laid out to the east and south side of the house. The Yew trees are estimated to be between 250 and 400 years old and the large cooper beech trees 250 years old. Strenuous efforts by the McIntosh's and their tree surgeon since 2009 have in which was once a “lost garden “ resulted in clearing areas and a progressive reduction in undergrowth. The majority of the garden is laid to lawn with a multitude of shrubs, plants, mature bushes, flowers and fruit trees. With its South Easterly out look it really does make for a picturesque setting for entertaining and enjoying the sun.
A Victorian gated drive way to the East side of the house allows parking for a multitude of vehicles
By appointment through McEwan Fraser Legal on 01224 472 441
McEwan Fraser Legal are open 7 days a week: 8am - Midnight Monday to Friday & 9am - 10pm Saturday & Sunday to book your viewing appointment.
All floor coverings, blinds, curtains, light fittings are included in the sale.
Additional soft furnishings are available by separate negotiation.
Services: Mains electricity, Main drains, water and Gas.
These are for general guidance only. You are responsible to confirm accuracy by inspection.