The Old Vicarage is one of the finest buildings in Frodsham and a grand house of significant local historic interest. The opportunity now arises to acquire this important property for the first time in 60 years having been purchased from the Church by our client s family in 1955. Standing at the heart of the Overton Conservation Area, this 18th Century Jacobean style house is Listed Grade II* and it is easy to see why upon arrival. Approached along a York stone paved driveway, the beautifully preserved property retains many original architectural features and design characteristics attributable to the renowned architect, John Douglas, who was commissioned in 1870 to extend the house. The complex design of the house includes intricate brickwork detailing, stone dressings, mullion windows, stained and leaded windows depicting Saints and an octagonal turret with spire.
Notable Frodsham resident and missionary, Rev. William Cotton lived in the house from 1850 and his influence on the renovations remains in place with Maori inscriptions on the doorstep and a stone panel.
The accommodation layout is well suited to extended family or multi generation living and extends to over 7000 sq ft (650 sq m). It is arranged over four levels and has a separate, self contained mews cottage, (subject to a tenancy). The house retains a very homely feel and many truly outstanding original features. There are oak doors, floors and wall panelling and an open well oak staircase leading to a gallery landing. Considerable efforts have been made to maintain the house to the highest of standards and preserve the character of the building but also to ensure that it is comfortable and efficient to run. The heating/hot water system runs on a combination of gas and sold fuel and insulation has been introduced and upgraded where possible. The kitchen was extended and re-fitted in 2008.
The house stands in large mature gardens enjoying a high degree of privacy and seclusion. It is set well back from Church Road behind a high sandstone wall and is approached along a York stone paved driveway with two separate access points onto Church Road. The gardens include a large lawn with deep borders featuring numerous trees and shrubs. A walled garden at the rear of the house is a real sun trap and has a barbecue making it ideal for al fresco dining. There are further well wooded gardens to the South side.
The Mews Cottage provides a completely self contained independent living unit. The entrance is to the side of the main house and accommodation includes a living room, two double bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen. The cottage is subject to a long term regulated tenancy. Full details are available upon request.
These are for general guidance only. You are responsible to confirm accuracy by inspection.