HSE warns landlords on gas safety

Posted: 04 Jul 2007 11:00:22 GMT


            Property News - HSE warns landlords on gas safety

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned landlords to ensure that gas appliances fitted in their properties are working well, following reported instances of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned landlords to ensure that gas appliances fitted in their properties are working well, following reported instances of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Recently, two landlords were prosecuted after a family were hospitalised as a result of a faulty gas heater.

Landlords are responsible for ensuring that gas appliances are correctly inspected and maintained - something that had not been done since 1996.

The HSE said that it was concerned for the lack of safety awareness apparent among some buy-to-let landlords.

"We want to send a clear signal to private landlords to look after the health and interest of their tenants instead of their own financial interests," explained HSE inspector Andrew Withers.

"Keeping gas appliances in a safe condition and having a competent person to maintain them is not hard to arrange.

"Landlords need to realise they can potentially face charges of manslaughter if they fail in their duties and someone dies as a result."

Sky - Unlimted Broadband & TV
BT Broadband - Plus FREE BT Sports
Virgin Media - Superfast Broadband & TV
Gas & Electricty - Save up to £533
Mortgages - Find the cheapest
Home Insurance - Compare 70 providers
Free Credit Check - Check your credit file
Conveyancing - Fast Free quote
Tax Saving Guides - Tips to save Tax